Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Poetic Moment





Priyanka Sacheti, Friday ReportPublished: November 23, 2007, 01:04


I was born on the small island of Pemba near Zanzibar in Tanzania. I am of mixed parentage with my father [who lived in Zanzibar] hailing from nearby Comoros island while my mother's family is Omani, from the northern town of Rustaq, although she was born and raised in Zanzibar. I moved to Ras al Khaimah when I was 4 then shifted base to Dubai nine years later. I still regard the UAE as my home for it is where I attended school and grew up. I have been living in Oman for a decade and am presently working as a coordinator at the Spanish Language Centre in Muscat. As a child, I had various dreams … … one of which was to become a teacher for children with special needs. After completing school, I did a Montessori course for children with special needs by correspondence. I then worked as a volunteer then an assistant teacher at Al Noor, a private institution in Dubai for training children with special needs. It was amazing working with those children. As their teacher, one might think that I was opening up the world to them. However, it was they who transformed and opened new worldsfor me. Afterwards, I also worked in an advertising agency, which kept me on my toes. I completed the Charted Institute of Marketing course, which proved beneficial for my work. Starting as a receptionist, I worked my way up to be a promotion coordinator.


I left the UAE in 1997 because I wanted to live with my mother in Oman. I had visited Oman during my holidays but that was an altogether different experience from living here. After arriving here, I became more aware of my Omani heritage. It's also nice here because I have a huge extended family on my maternal side. Oman's rich culture is very family-oriented. We are all involved in each other's lives and it is wonderful to have that kind of familial support. However, I am also thankful to my father's side of the family; my half-brother and sister who raised me while I was in the UAE. I may now be away from them but they – along with my nieces and nephews – still shower me with so much love.
A turning point in my life … … was when my father passed away in Zanzibar due to cancer. His death was the catalyst that led me to publish a collection of my poems, Collective Thoughts for the benefit of children cancer patients at Sultan Qaboos University Hospital (SQUH).

Until that point, I had written poetry solely for myself since childhood. I was a very shy child, constantly engrossed in my writing. I had stacks of files containing my poetry which I imagined would only be discovered long after I had gone. I was a humanities-oriented student and dreamt of being both a poet and a teacher of special needs. However, I soon realised that poetry doesn't pay and that I would have to find a job while also pursuing my poetry. I therefore wrote poetry for the sheer pleasure of it. At the most, I imagined myself reading my poetry aloud in front of an audience. I would have laughed if someone had told me 10 years ago that I would publish a book. However, after my father's death, I wanted to raise awareness about cancer. I wanted to help people by bringing together a collection of poems dealing with cancer. I faced various hurdles in order to publish Collective Thoughts. I faced external challenges, such as finding sponsors, and internal dilemmas, when I wondered whether I would ever be able to achieve this goal. I was also determined to promote and launch this book, despite this being my maiden publishing venture, using my experience in advertising and promotion. I feel that I was never aware of God's miracles as deeply as I did when I was creating this book. Everything eventually fell together in place. Many people's have contributed towards the book … … including my father-figure graphic designer, Dr Zakia al Lamki, former head of Child's Health department at SQUH … and other friends and well-wishers. That's why the book is entitled Collective Thoughts. I wanted to pay tribute to the efforts, wishes and support of various people who helped this book get published. It was an unforgettable period in my life.
After this, I didn't think I could work on another book. However, I found myself writing and launching my second poetry collection, Within Myself: Willpower to Live Beyond Breast Cancer. In addition to poetry, I included narratives from breast cancer survivors to bring out their voices and pain. This book led to the inception of a third book about breast cancer patients in Tanzania.
I recently visited Zanzibar The purpose of the trip was to generate awareness about the disease as well as to obtain a mammography for the Ocean Ward Institute. Originally, I saw this trip as an opportunity to finish [my third] book. However, after arriving there, I witnessed such heart-wrenching sights that I could not get their faces out of my mind. People wholeheartedly embraced me wherever I went, taking pride in my African heritage upon hearing that my father was African. Avon MHD [Avon's exclusive distributor in Oman] gave me some [breast cancer crusade] ribbons to distribute to the patients there. Nurses explained to the patients that these ribbons would provide them with mental strength while fighting this disease. I visited the patients few days later to see the ribbons still proudly pinned to their blouses. It made me experience a huge responsibility towards them. It was no longer merely a book … it had become a mission. I have since created a leaflet on breast self-examination, which has been distributed among the patients there. I chose poetry as a means of generating social awareness about cancer … … because it was the only tool I had. My sole intention is to raise awareness about issues dear to my heart through my poetry. The process of writing is the easiest part; the difficulties lie in the technicalities of creating a book. Those are two contrasting worlds. I used to be shy, although working on the books has fundamentally transformed me as a person, taking me beyond the realms of ordinary experiences.
Snapshots Me and my poetic moments:

I do not think poetry should be limited to the confines of a book. I feel that life is full of poetic moments. I recently held a poetry workshop in which I used poetry as a means of therapy. I encouraged people who were ill, stressed or depressed to write poetry so that they could better express themselves and initiate a healing process. The concept of poetry therapy – practised by certified poetry therapists – is steadily gaining popularity in the West, particularly the US. Poets visit hospitals where they read poetry to patients and encourage them to write poetry.


13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article Nasra!!! I hope it helps your career as well! You are a very talented writer and I wish you the best!

Ciao!
mark

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks-Nasra-(Gulf News)

You have inspired us of your a chievement, you have determined to prove yourself of being good to those did not considered you as part of this good nation. You should now be so proud because of your contribution to the nation and others .You are true person bearing your own grama' name and now able to start changing the old thinking ! I sometimes filled with emotions at the time when my hope was just running low about you. To today I am happy of your a chievement and especially when you are fighting for humanity, no doubt you have made life intresting. I and Rahama have been regular visitor to at Ras Al-Kheima at your late father' house , I found you at that time, that you had a potential outlook of this troubled world. You have always made me as a big uncle !We here today in Salalah shared this good moment of your success with pride and hope, and God bless you.

Truly yours
Nasser

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello dear Nasra,
What a nice article. Thanks!
Anne-Marie xxx

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nasra,
Had no problem opening it and what a beautiful picture of you in it as well. Your story does need to be told and you were so gracious about eveyone in it. I know Khadeja must be vey proud of you as I am.
Love you Mum in AUS xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1:52 PM  
Blogger krystyna said...

Hi Nasra!
I am so thankful to you for put out your very inspiring biography.
I am proud of you.
I can imagine how your mather is happy and proud of you.
Congratulations!
Keep up the great work!

7:04 AM  
Blogger krystyna said...

You are beautiful inside and outside. Your soul is beautiful.
Great photo!

My dream was to be a teacher too.
I worked with chidren 10 years.(it was in my country). I love children.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Noushy Syah said...

Hi Nasra,

Thanks for sharing...your noble blog and articles tell us that you're a very positive kind hearted person and all the best with what you're doing.

Keep up the good work.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Ceritfied poetry therapist -
EXCELLENT - I need to learn more.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more about poetry as therapy.

A good friend of mine has stage 3 ovarian cancer but partly because of her love of poetry the doctors are encouraged and feel her prognosis is more positive than most people because she is determined to work on a poetry collection.

I'll be seeing her today, she's an amazing human.

2:31 AM  
Blogger Chris Eldin said...

Thanks for stopping by "The Book Roast!"

There's a link to my email on the sidebar for book promotions...please drop me a line! It's easier to keep track of people/books via email. Thanks!!
:-)

12:01 PM  
Blogger trinitystar said...

Nasra,

Your positivity is a great inspiration to all of us, such driving power and determination.
I love this what you left me.
At times times takes you apart from the things you love ...

Here I am with no reason at all knocking your door to greet you
Maybe there is a reason. A big hug for you.
see you soon.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nasra, I found your article both encouraging and inspiring. Thank you for posting it. I encountered your writing when searching for a lady called Zakia Lamki who I used to know in UK in the 1960s and who gave me a love of Arab music. I am unsure whether your Zakia is the one I am trying to make contact with.

Best wishes to you,

John

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home